Community > Forums > Basics of Import-Export > Problems with pre-shipping inspection
Post a topic Post a survey Forum Guidelines

Problems with pre-shipping inspection 16 replies,4497 views

I hired an inspector to check all 200 watches before it shipped. The factory assured me that the inspection could occur on the 27th...the inspector went there to find that only 123 watches were ready. He couldn't inspect the shipping materials either. So in the end, he inspected only 123 watches...

The factory says they had no idea i wanted all 200 watches checked, and the inspector only mentioned a random accuracy + water resistance test when he called the factory. They further say they offered to let the inspector check the dials + movements for the watches that had not finished assembly yet, but he refused.

The inspector says they do not check unfinished products, no inspection company will do so, and it was not their fault that the factory didnt know that they were going to check all 200 pieces.

Both the factory and inspector are claiming it is not their fault.

So in short, i paid for an inspection that checked only slightly half of the watches it was supposed to check. If i want to check the remainder, i have to hire the inspector again, using funds out of my own pocket.

Is this...well...normal? I feel short changed by this. The inspection company is pushing me to release the payment from escrow ASAP and give them a 5 star feedback rating. Meanwhile i am still concerned about QC defects for the remaining watches that were unchecked...

Edit : This gets better, the inspector now claims that the factory confirmed that all the watches were ready when he called the factory to confirm the inspection date.
Share to:

Re: Problems with pre-shipping inspection
I have been reading about your problems. Even the other thread that got moved.

Sorry to hear about all this as it seems you cannot get anything done right with this deal.

In any case, only you can decide what to do, but I will at least offer my comment as to what I would do.

Firstly regarding the inspector, based on what you have said, I tend to agree with their comments. Their remit was to check 200 pcs of watch and the packing?? If so, it is not their fault the watches were not completed and it seems this is accurate as the factory said they offered to allow inspection of the uncompleted products.

If I was the inspectior I would not complete an inspection of incomplete products either. It doesn't make any sense to do it. The conduct of your supplier is a good example given they seem to not have done anything right. If you were an inspector would you risk completing a report on incomplete items from this supplier???

Fair enough you feel short changed, but it appears to me the inspector tried to do what he was asked. He charges a price based on offering his services for a specific task/timeframe.

So as long as you are happy with the actual work of the inspector I cannot see how they can be held for anything more.

Now with the supplier, in my thinking is better to get this finished as soon as possible.

It seems to me there is no GOOD option, just lots of alternatives to try and finalise this with the least amount of more trouble and cost.

What was the result of the inspection report for the 123 pieces?? If there was no problems, perhaps you need to accept some risk in accepting that a large number of the other watches should be ok and get this deal finished and behind you.

Alternatively, weigh up the overall position with regard to your costs/losses against your potential profit from this deal. If there is no good benefit, then well it maybe better to suffer the loss of the deposit, but withhold the final payment. That way, although you lose, at least you lose less.

Or, arrange for that final inspection. You could always try and have the supplier pay for it, but it seems your chances will be slim, given their history.

Without knowing dollar amount and total costs etc. if it was me, I would probably consider the first option. Simply because at this stage I would be wanting to get this finished ASAP, and based on assuming that the inspection report for the 123 completed watches was satisfactory.

But i would be making sure other people knew about the poor result with this supplier.
Reply # 2 ASR Info
bump
Things you may do now!
Very sad, but you should hold on; at least before the final shipment, take time, if your source try to deny you, then look for an alternative, but it is better to provide them the chance to re-correct them, thus may help you to build a long term profitable partnership. [em17]
Reply #
ASR Info wrote:
I have been reading about your problems. Even the other thread that got moved.

Sorry to hear about all this as it seems you cannot get anything done right with this deal.

In any case, only you can decide what to do, but I will at least offer my comment as to what I would do.

Firstly regarding the inspector, based on what you have said, I tend to agree with their comments. Their remit was to check 200 pcs of watch and the packing?? If so, it is not their fault the watches were not completed and it seems this is accurate as the factory said they offered to allow inspection of the uncompleted products.

If I was the inspectior I would not complete an inspection of incomplete products either. It doesn't make any sense to do it. The conduct of your supplier is a good example given they seem to not have done anything right. If you were an inspector would you risk completing a report on incomplete items from this supplier???

Fair enough you feel short changed, but it appears to me the inspector tried to do what he was asked. He charges a price based on offering his services for a specific task/timeframe.

So as long as you are happy with the actual work of the inspector I cannot see how they can be held for anything more.

Now with the supplier, in my thinking is better to get this finished as soon as possible.

It seems to me there is no GOOD option, just lots of alternatives to try and finalise this with the least amount of more trouble and cost.

What was the result of the inspection report for the 123 pieces?? If there was no problems, perhaps you need to accept some risk in accepting that a large number of the other watches should be ok and get this deal finished and behind you.

Alternatively, weigh up the overall position with regard to your costs/losses against your potential profit from this deal. If there is no good benefit, then well it maybe better to suffer the loss of the deposit, but withhold the final payment. That way, although you lose, at least you lose less.

Or, arrange for that final inspection. You could always try and have the supplier pay for it, but it seems your chances will be slim, given their history.

Without knowing dollar amount and total costs etc. if it was me, I would probably consider the first option. Simply because at this stage I would be wanting to get this finished ASAP, and based on assuming that the inspection report for the 123 completed watches was satisfactory.

But i would be making sure other people knew about the poor result with this supplier.

Oops, didnt realise you had posted this before i bumped it.

I agree, i am also planning to just get the watches done with and hope there are not many problems with the remainding watches that weren't checked...

But how do you let others know of this supplier? You cannot post reviews on alibaba.
"But how do you let others know of this supplier?"

Go to my contact details. Look at the website listed there and register. The you can add a review of this supplier.

Problems like yours are exactly the reason I started this website, and having been in this business myself for a long time, I have seen the same thing time and time again.

Not much happening there yet, but its early days and got to start somewhere.

And if you are unsure of my legitimacy, feel free to contact me privately.
Reply # 5 Question2005

hi

great question and it is actuall a very common one, also at times there can also be a bait and switch, meaning you can have an inspector or any qc person go in and they may well see what they are assuming is your order only to have u find out  in the end that what u reicived were not the same quality as inspected

i realize this is not the case here but if may here are  few words of cost savings,i often get my products checked and verified especially in these tough times, no matter what the cost is, no one can afford to loose money, so here is what i have done and continue to do,

i have certain moral and finacial standards, i have been very very fortunate to have worked with some of the sme people for a very long time well over 6 or 7 years , these people have now become very very good friends and people i can absolutely trust, so here is what i do, i often get them to check out any company i  plan on dealing with  for my standards, ie work conditions quality, enviroment and so forth as well of course as the products, this has worked out extremely well and i often give the factory little notice all i will tell them is that a represetitive from my company is coming and they are dealing as my proxing and to be treated accordingling, now i cannot always do this since i deal with so many parts of china, so when i hire a professional company i expect my full order in packages ready to go , just needing my pro to verify everything, this tends to avoid the half done situations as well some of the better more in depth qc peopole will often do dock inspections as well to verfity what they saw in the factory is what you are getting, just double redunacy and it helps,

i would personally hold off and not release the money nor would i give any feedback yet, ask for more time on alixpress, this u can do and i beleive up t approx 45 days extra i often do this as well, especially when it comes to certain items i import

Reply #
Brent : I didnt purchase products off alixpress, i contacted the supplier through the main alibaba website. So theres no feedback to leave.

And if i don't transfer the remaining funds over, they don't ship my goods, and i am stuck.
maybe you are lack of consultation of the supplier and the inspector
We offer inspection service too, but we do not work by this way. but ways are always flexible.
1. Sometimes due to hurry for shipment to catch the vessel you have to go inspection in advance even some of items still not ready.This is popular I think, once most of the goods are inspected without any defective happened, why not trust the factory. If defectives high rate found, then you have to do the second inspection.
2. Another situation for high value item, high rate inspection to almost every piece. It seems you are in this situation.
SIGNATURE:
About Our Company

Shenzhen Kenny Service Office
Shenzhen Kenny Service Office created by Kenny Gao, Coming from Shenzhen Guangdong, China, and his hometown is in Shantou City, . Graduated from Capital University of Economics and Business, with more than 7 year... More

If the factory informed the inspector all goods were ready, but when the inspector went to the factory and finded out the qty wasn't enough, he should contact his client (you) to confirm whether he should test today or until all goods are ready.Poor service from the inspector, he just thought to finish today's job and get the salary, never thought about his client.

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: