Community > Forums > Shipping & Inspection > Shipping Containers from China
Post a topic Post a survey Forum Guidelines

Shipping Containers from China 37 replies,35546 views

In the past I have used a shipping agent in the USA to arrange shipments from Ningbo China to New York/New Jersey, and finally transported to Albany NY. My previous agent is now gone, and the price has skyrocketed to $4,000 for a 20' container.

Several years ago I asked DHL to quote me on a 20' container. Instead they seized my shipments and shipped them by air. That was a huge bill, and lawyers had to get involved. So, I would like to avoid any of these types of shippers.

The biggest problem is transportation from NYC/NJ to Albany NY port (150 mile / 100 km). My customs location is Albany NY. I don't want to drive 150 miles to NYC/NJ to process customs.

Right now I have multiple shipments waiting in China for a shipper. Any suggestions or web site that can show me a better way, or a list of shipping companies I can contact? I am having a real problem finding shippers. I would prefer to make arrangements in China instead. I think that I would get a better price this way. Comments or suggestions are welcome.
Share to:

Re: Shipping Containers from China
Quoting from [owlboy]:

In the past I have used a shipping agent in the USA to arrange shipments from Ningbo China to New York/New Jersey, and finally transported to Albany NY. My previous agent is now gone, and the price has skyrocketed to $4,000 for a 20' container.

Several years ago I asked DHL to quote me on a 20' container. Instead they seized my shipments and shipped them by air. That was a huge bill, and lawyers had to get involved. So, I would like to avoid any of these types of shippers.

The biggest problem is transportation from NYC/NJ to Albany NY port (150 mile / 100 km). My customs location is Albany NY. I don't want to drive 150 miles to NYC/NJ to process customs.

Right now I have multiple shipments waiting in China for a shipper. Any suggestions or web site that can show me a better way, or a list of shipping companies I can contact? I am having a real problem finding shippers. I would prefer to make arrangements in China instead. I think that I would get a better price this way. Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Owl,

4K for a 20 footer to the east coast is absurd! I am paying $1,500 for a 20 footer to Oakland (SF)... Which means tha trucking/railing it to the east coast from here would be as cheap or cheaper.

In that cost are you including duty/fees/road transport to a warehouse? Or is that JUST the cost for the container to the port?

If it is just to the port you sure as heck need a new shipping agent. DHL would NOT be my choice EVER for shipping. Go to the BUY leads and look for Shipping Agent and Freight Forwarder. You will see a ton of them in there. Start contacting people and get some quotes.

If you have no luck contact me on TM and I will put you in touch with a girl I know near Ningbo who might be able to help you out with shipping. She is fairly new to being an agent but she is 100% trsutworthy and works dang hard to source products for me and get me good shipping rates.

Replying to [owlboy]:

hi dear friend,i have read all your above experience,also,i'm surprised by their behaviour and quotation,at most it is not worth to pay so much for one 20' ctnr from china here.*Do NOT advertise in the forums! Mod*
nice day!
Replying to [owlboy]:
I think that you can finding some shipping forwarder on website .
thence you can contacting with their branch office .
Or you can asking your suppliers(who have sold the goods ) to finding for u .and quoting the price for you. thence you can making a contrast on the price.
there are thousands of shipping forwarder in Ningbo.

Hope this is can help u !
Re: Re: Shipping Containers from China
Replying to [Foow]:

The $4k quote was for ocean frt and road transportation (150 miles from NYC - Not DHL either) only. We do all our own processing with CBP ourselves. The major issue is that the shipment would come into New York City or New Jersey ports, but our customs location is 150 miles away. I do NOT want to have process the CBP paperwork in NYC or New Jersey. This would mean a 300 mile trip and a loss of a day for me. Getting the container out of China is not the problem. Getting road transportation to upstate New York is the problem and dealing with customs at a different location. I also don't want to get fee'ed to death inside the USA.

Should I be looking for a shipping agent who has office in both locations (Ningbo and NYC/NJ)?

As for DHL, we didn't allow them to ship. We only allowed them to quote. But, once they knew the supplier they illegally seized the shipments. They openly admitted that they do this all the time, and laughly told me I still had to pay for an overnight shipment of a container. It got real ugly after that.
Re: Re: Re: Shipping Containers from China

Quoting from [owlboy]:

Owlboy. From your comments I would be looking for a Freight Fowarder who also has a customs clearing arm.......They are usually the same guys but with 2 different company names for tax purposes.

If you are upstate from NYC is there acyually a port that is closer than NYC? Certainly worth looking into.  don't ship thru the east coast so my knowledge of those sometimes weird procedures in specific ports is something I have no experience with..... But I can guess whatever trucking company is generally used is related to Tony Soprano in some way. (Isn't everything in the NY Docks?)

I would also check with local trucking companies physically near you who could do a container grab from the port.. You might actually get better rates that way.... Same ole same ole....... Lots of research to see if you can make back a few % points on your margins.

Re: Re: Shipping Containers from China
Replying to [Foow]:
Hi - Your info was very helpful. What's an approximate cost to ship a 40' container from China/Shenzhen to Los Angeles? What about a 20' container from China to LA? I've heard that it's more expensive t ship to NY. Is that correct? THANK YOU!!
Re: Re: Re: Shipping Containers from China
Quoting from [jerseygirl]:

Replying to [Foow]:

Hi - Your info was very helpful. What's an approximate cost to ship a 40' container from China/Shenzhen to Los Angeles? What about a 20' container from China to LA? I've heard that it's more expensive t ship to NY. Is that correct? THANK YOU!!

Jersey,

20' container to LA/ Long Beach is around the $1,500 +- $200. You need to get quotes from a BUNCH or Freight Forwarders... Remember that is ONLY the shipping cost, does NOT include insurance for the goods in the container, does not include customs duty or any inspection fees. Does not include the Clearing Agents fee or transport from dock to you.

Shipping to the East coast is more, simply because the only way to get there is thru the panama canal..... and the panama canel costs lots of fees to go thru.....  don't have exact costs for east coast shipping as I never ship there. Any freight Forwarder can give you approximate rates for east coast. Just tell them depature port and entry port ..... like anything get at least 3 quotes.

Replying to [owlboy]:

If you are still in the market for a forwarder I can definitley get you a better rate than what you have gotten in the past. We specialize in bringing goods out of CHina and we have excellent contacts with COSCO (China Shipping Co) which helps us get outstanding rates. If you would like a quote please email the shipment details to me and I will get a quote to you asap.

No contact info pls.... Mods
Replying to [owlboy]: Best choose !
Replying to [owlboy]:
hello my friend,maybe the website is useful for you :http//www.shippingchina.com/
[em16]

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: