Fun is sometimes used as an adjective in the following contexts:

It was a fun thing to do.
It was a fun place to go to.
She is a fun person to be with.

instead of:
She is fun to be with.
It was fun to go there.
It was fun to do that.

Fun here means pleasant and enjoyable. It/she made you feel happy.

However, funny is the normal adjective and fun is normally used as a noun. Note that when funny is used as an adjective in this way, it will have one of two quite different meanings. Consider the following:

She is a funny person. She makes me laugh.
She is a funny person. Her behaviour is really strange.   

Adjectives describe the qualities of people, things and places. They are one of the largest word classes in English. They are normally placed before a noun but, as we saw above, they can also come after the verb to be and also after other linking verbs such as stay, look, seem, appear, become, etc.

Study the following:

A tall young man and a petite middle-aged woman were walking along the narrow road.

Tasty, fresh, white French bread is always best served with Stilton cheese and red wine.

The fine sunny weather is set to continue. It will stay fine for the next few days.

New ideas are always interesting and exciting.

For more info, please visit here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv98.shtml

Share to:

Re: Words study -
Replying to [Moolan99]:Dear Moolan,
Its fun to read about trivia of this funny language.Though it is not easy to act funny and get away with it. [em1]

Sixer
SIGNATURE:
About Our Company

Vishwanath Agencies
We work as an extention of your company in marketing, Consultancy and sourcing activities, keeping your interest in mind as top priority. Sourcing-we ensure supplies and services at affordable price for quality ... More

Replying to [Moolan99]:[em18][em19]
Words study - Some additional comments
Replying to [Moolan99]:Dear Moolan
I happen to disagree with your comments. "Fun" is always the noun and "funny" is always and adjective
When we say: It was a funny thing to do
funny is just decribing the thing. The thing is the most important part of the sentence
When we say: It was a fun thing to do
fun is a noun and remain the most important part of the sentence

There is a subtle difference. In the first sentence, the message describe the object as funny, but that is the main topic, the writer wants to ensure the most important part of the sentence is the thing that was done. it could the letter, the drawing, anything.
In the second sentence, the writer wants you to remember the fun you had doing something, FUN is the most important part of the message. There is no adjective we could use with the word FUN.

So this is an structure of emphasis, where you want to convey the emotion or feeling instead of the direct object.

Another example:
I went to the movies last night
I did go to the movies last night

They express almost the same meaning but they have different importance. In the first case, the movies is the most important thing, maybe it was the avant premiere of a movie or else. In the second sentence, the acual action of going is the most important thing. You want to state clearly that you went to the movies, that you did not stay at home. The action of going is the most important thing.

I don't know if I confuse you or you grabbed the message. English has some subtle variations to the regular sentence to highlight some other parts of the sentence.
Vicente Huaman
Re: Words study - Some additional comments
Replying to [Vicente]:

Hi Vicente,

Thank you for your input. However it's not my idea, it's from BBC website. I thought it's useful so it's here.

Moolan

Replying to [Moolan99]:To add a word... Using "fun" in this way is only a few decades old to my ears... I speak as a sixty-two year old Chicagoan. A "fun" thing is a thing full of (or filled with) fun. I agree withthe American Heritage Dictionary that it is an adjective... used in a fun way.

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: