Community > Forums > Safe Trading Basics > 7 steps to identify scammers.
Post a topic Post a survey Forum Guidelines

7 steps to identify scammers. 982 replies,311628 views

This is how I normally do to identify scammers, with this, you should be ok for quite some time.

First of all, I do Google search with the name of the company and the word scam. Normally, there should be no page with the company listed with the word scam next to them but if you see at least one, maybe it is a scam. No need to have several pages, only one is neccessary. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Secondly, I go on a very good website, www.fraudwatchers.org who have a lsit of all website and company listed as scam. They just saved me from sending sample to a scam company. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
And thirdly, just ask people around on forums just like this one. I saw a mate who've done that. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Fourth steps is that you can verify the address they gave you and find out what's really on this. Go on www.whitepages.com and enter the address they gave you to find out if the address is really registered as their business address or at least at their names. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Fifth test is to ask them to phone you. Normally scammers won't do this but beware, some also tries to call you. Please be aware that some scammers uses call redirection which is call callback (I'm not sure of that) or they can use fax to email. Using this, they get number that are listed in U.S.A., U.K. or any European country where in reality, they are located elsewhere. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Sixth, alway inquire about the mail address. This is a mistake scammers often made. Try to see whether the email address comes from a free mail server. Suppose you get a mail from economicdevelopment@mail2cameroon.cc, be sure this is a scam. The mail address (it truely exist and they tried to scam me) is not from the Cameroon government, but from a free mail server. This is how I caught my first scammer. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Seventh and last advice for the time being; JUST COME AND ASK ME. Yes, you can come and ask me and I'll help you. I've been for so much time victim of scammer, who fortunately failed in their attempts, that I've got some pretty much experience. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
This is approximately all I can remember for the time being but again, if you need advices, feel free to contact me, it's free :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

SORRY FOR ADDIN THE COLUMN (:) EVERYWERE, BUT THE RETURN BUTTON SEEMS TO BE OUT OF ORDER.

More to Browse :

How to Not Get Scammed on Aliaba or Online
Ways to Identify Scammers
Be Aware of TradeKey.com Scammers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hot Topics in the Forum:

Share to:

Re: New ways to identify scammers. 7 advices
Replying to [bsanssouci]:

I would agree with what you are saying except I take exception to the step of verifying the address on whitepages.
I have been doing business in Taylor michigan at the current address for 5 years, and whitepages did not even find my current address or old one
I would like your assistance in finding out if a company here on alibaba is a scam....the company is Lin Chun, LTD. The phone number is out of service and they want me to send money for cell phones to their account...when i did that they told me they could not get the money because of the name and wnat me to change the name of the reciever to their assistant accountant. I did not do this and have stopped my transfer. But i wouls like to know if they really are fraud or not. THANK YOU
Thanks for sharing. Really much helpful
Re: Re: New ways to identify scammers. 7 advices
Replying to [ash28]:
You'd better be careful in buying cell phoes, many report on scammers.
Hi,
your rules are quite good. I found there is another one: if you tell them that you wil handle shipment and will collect in person the goods, and pay cash, in the majority of the cases the scammers decline the deal!

BTW, how would you report a scammer to Alibaba? Do they care?

Cheers,

Hi, please advice if this your company is geniune and not a scamer:
Alibaba Addrss: Renaissance International
Your input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Recently I got an inquiry from Vestimpex LTD, and there are a lot of strange things: can't find them with whitepages, the website they put on company profile doesn't seem theirs, email is Yahoo provided, there are different names and phone numbers at the inquiry and the company profile. Do you know them?
Nice, good tips. But the best tip i can recommend is to get a 3rd party ( eg rep in china like www.businessinchina.cc ) to visit the company in person. It will cost you a little more bit its worth it!!
[em19]
I got lots of Scam Mails from many others mail addresses in now a days doing business through cyber world its arnt as easy as it looks
Replying to [bsanssouci]:The best advice I can offer is to contact directly in reply to any e-mails.
My e-mail is,admittedly,from a public server,but my address pane contains our company name,website,address,landline/fax numbers, mobile number(s),SKYPE number and MSN.
I always ask potential customers to check our website for our company profile and Gold Supplier and TrustPass credentials.

From the other side of the coin,as a mainland supplier,if an enquiry "seems" genuine,then I always call the provided 'phone number,and look at supplied websites.
First contact is always the best way to gauge whether you're being scammed,and if someone's being evasive,then it's best to err on the side of caution.

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: