Community > Forums > Safe Trading Basics > How to deal with online scammers located in China?
Post a topic Post a survey Forum Guidelines

How to deal with online scammers located in China? 29 replies,25160 views

I've been frequently presented with this question by many Alibaba members who have been scammed by rogues in China. Their method oftentimes is not sophisticated. A roughly designed website, several pictures of products, MSN or email address only and the address given only in English or incomplete in Chinese. But it seems to work and many a bona fide Alibaba trader got scammed.

They want to pursue the scammer and shut down the website. But, other than posting the scammer's name and address on the Alibaba forums, how? Given the volume and similarity of these cases, I think there is a need to write something specifically on this topic .I've helped some non-Chinese Alibaba members pursue the scammers and the following is my advice.

I think enough has been said on the Fraud & Security Forum on how to shun the scammer. However, it may be equally useful to know how to deal with the scammer after being scammed. When scammed, one normally wants two things: this first is to get back their money; this second is to shut down the scammer's website. Sometimes, they can achieve both; sometimes, they can get one thing done, while in a fairly good number of cases, none. The reasons may vary by case.

For a foreigner who wishes to act all on his own, their chance of getting both done is almost nil. So retaining a lawyer would be the first step. At this stage, however, the cost should be the first issue to consider. If the money lost is a few thousand dollars, you may consider taking the scam as a lesson because that amount may probably not be enough to retain a lawyer who "really" can represent you all through the legal proceedings to recover your money. I mean "really" because not all lawyers are capable of taking such cases. The legal proceedings, once initiated, may take longer time and turn out far more complex than you could expect, because such cases are treated as "foreign-related" under Chinese law and may involve different lawyering expertise. Let alone the issue of language.

If you decide the case is worth pursuing, then, finding the right, competent authority would be crucial. Neither you nor your lawyer may seize the scammer by hand. You have to decide whether to lodge civil actions against the scammer or report to the police. Someone may have suggested calling the local police at such emergency number as 120, hoping they would intervene and seize the scammer and shut down the website. That may sound good, but is not realistic. Local police oftentimes take care of local matters. The emergency number is mostly used to report emergency matters. And most of the police taking such calls do not speak English. How could you expect them to take your verbally-reported case that arose out of an online, cross-border transaction? I was once told by a frank police officer in Beijing that they normally direct such callers to the callers' embassies in Beijing for help. So, you can expect what will follow.

In order to report such scams, the practice is to prepare a complete documentation of all the facts and evidence and report to the police in person, or through a duly authorized representative. Such cases, once accepted, are usually taken over by the commercial crimes division of the police for investigation and they may take such actions as closing down the scammer's website and confiscating their illegal gains. However, in order to recover your loss, you may have to lodge an ancillary civil action against the scammer and the outcome and timeline will depend on that of the criminal proceedings.

It may also be possible to lodge the civil action directly against the scammer. But, as a first step, you must find the scammer's actual location, without which the court won't take your filing. The location shall be the abode of the individual scammer and the business address of the corporate scammer. Sometimes, the scammed may find themselves unable to provide the accurate location of the scammers, with only fuzzy, incomplete address in English available. That does not make sense to the judge. Website URL, MSN number, email address, or **** number of the scammer is not enough, too. Some scammers are very sly and always avoid giving their address in Chinese either on their website or in their communications. This may bring trouble. The Internet service provider normally will not disclose the information of the scammer that hosts the website to third parties on alleged fraud and the local government authority in charge of telecommunication services is also reluctant to shut down the website without written confirmation from either the police or the local court judgment, because, as one official of the Beijing Bureau of Telecommunications once told me, they are not authorized by law to investigate such scam allegations and therefore may not shut down a website merely on such allegations. In such cases, the scammed may have to turn to the police first in the hope of finding the scammer's whereabouts. Then the ancillary civil action.

If your main purpose is only to shut down the scammers' website, rather than pursue them to recover your loss. There is also a cheap and easy way. The Chinese government has set up or sponsored online report centres that take reports of illegal websites. Websites used for scam may also be reported. The centres will then bring these reports to local police and they will **** down on the scams and close the websites, not on a daily basis but regularly. The name list of the closed websites will be published on the centres' own website. One such centre is the China Internet Illegal Information Reporting Centre (http://net.china.cn/) hosted by the Internet Society of China. They have an English version but report can only be made in Chinese. Another centre is hosted by the Ministry of Public Security of the State Council at http://cyberpolice.cn. They only take reports in Chinese. Both require minimum information of the reporter and charge no fee. So, if you can type Chinese, or have a Chinese friend, you may try this.

In sum, in order to cope with the online scammers located in China, you need to decide on your main objects, find the right representative and choose the right course. Otherwise, you may either remain helpless or throw good money after bad.
Share to:

Re: How to deal with online scammers located in China?
Replying Tom  [lawyer_He]:

Thank you very much Lawyer He for such a brilliant and informative article.

I have stuck it to the top so everyone can read it.

[em3]
Replying to [lawyer_He]:is there a dispute section on here that you can open with someone that has conned you, also why are they not kicked off this sight,
Magbaza in China have protect function, by far I know. But what about other countries?
I know you are a lawyer from CHina.

Yes I can find protection from a company named magbaza, but, I don't know how to deal with such kinds of situations when trade with other countries except China.

Shall we find a company like magbaza or other ways we can choose?

can you give me suggestions , and give me some comment on Magbaza, for we are gaining relation ships with Magbaza.
Dear lawyer_He,
thank you very much for your information ![em19]
you depicted it very detailed.very good!
Replying to [lawyer_He]:we tried to buy 53 new cars from helen li bin bin company.they send us their proforma invoices and we register it in our custom and pay many fees.we wanted them to do L/C and they accept it.then they want us 2250$ for heir custom fees and we send it.but they told us that did not receive that amont and we should send with Western Union and we send it of our averse.then they told us that their ship had failure in UK port and we should send 5000$ again.but we reject it.and now we dont know what we should do.so every body take care of that supplier.
Re: Re: How to deal with online scammers located in China?
Replying to [farvash]:

This is a typical scam in China, I'm sure they are from Putian or somewhere in Fujian, province. Be careful next time! [em1]
SIGNATURE:
About Our Company

STIN (CHINA) BUSINESS SERVICE CO., Ltd
STIN (CHINA) BUSINESS SERVICES CO. , LTD (STIN for short) is a professional business service company offering Purchasing, Sourcing, Company Investigation, Quality Control, Pre-shipment Inspection and other busine... More

I have been swindled by this website "on-linemallcn@hotmail.com ."
I also have a phone number for these Criminals This has been going on for 5 month. I am out $ 1865.00 and now there asking for
another Eur 250.00 for supposedly Customs.I have a friend that is
from China, and asked him to call and see if he can make some
results.
If you have some advice, I would be greatfull.
Thanks
Cheers
Wildwilli
Re: Re: How to deal with online scammers located in China?
Replying to [wildwilli]:
My advice is in my post above.
You may wish to have a second read.
Re: Re: Re: How to deal with online scammers located in China?
Replying to [lawyer_He]:
Hiya

Im new to this trading thing in particular with supposedly chinese traders .... i have had contacts with several chinese
wholesalers offering ps3s at good prices .... are they legit? they asking money by western union and seem very legit.

Please get back for more info ....

Regards

M_hafeji

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to deal with online scammers located in China?
You cannot buy legitimate foreign brand name products in China and any supplier that tells you differently is a scammer.

ps3's are a Sony product and as such you can only purchase these items from Sony licenced distributors. Contact Sony and see if they will verify the supplier you are in contact with as being a licenced distributor. I guarantee that they aren't and that should be warning enough not to give them any money.

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: