Community > Forums > Payment & Finance > Shipping Costs from China to the USA
Post a topic Post a survey Forum Guidelines

Shipping Costs from China to the USA 38 replies,93829 views

Hi everyone,

My name is Marc Possoff and I have questions about shipping costs from China to the USA as I am new to importing.

Currently I am wanting to start importing custom embroidered baseball caps from China.

I have gotten info about duty on this product at 7.5%.

Also from the factories I have been in contact with I have gotten pricing on shipping costs. They have given me shipping costs per cap for both air and sea.

I'm asking here because I want to make sure that I got all my i's dotted and my t's crossed.

First for some reason shipping costs from each factory are all over.

Approximate weight and size of each carton is...

I will be ordering 1000-1200 pieces at a time on each order. Each factory informed me that they get good shipping rates.

approx. 55x37x57cm / carton
approx 16kgs / carton

Shipping rates I have been told average....

By ocean - $.05 to $.10/piece USD
By air- $.50 to $.77/piece USD(Fed-Ex and DHL)

I prefer to get goods shipped by air as it is much faster.

Ocean might be good for some orders as it seems like ocean is ALOT cheaper.

Tallked with a friend of mind in Canada and he expressed to me to really make sure that shipping rates are correct because when packages arrive you don't want any suprises. He said those ocean rates don't look right.

Let's say $.10/piece for ocean. For 1200 caps that's $120 for ocean shipping, doesn't sound right.

As far as air he's not sure.

So for 1200 caps by air with above approximate specs, air shipping for 1200 caps is $924USD( at the highest quote of $.77), plus duty, etc.

This is why I'm here asking, I don't want any suprises.

What more do I need to know so I don't have any suprises?

Also besides shipping costs what other "expenses" and charges do I need to know? I already know duty is 7.5%. Any other charges?

Thanks!

Marc
Share to:

Re: Shipping Costs from China to the USA
Hello,
I'm in the same situation as you.

I'm not sure if the price qoutes they gave you are high or not, but I would suggest getting a quote from a freight forwarder here in the US as well.

Most forwarders can handle shipping from China to the US. Actually, they do shipping all over the world.

Be sure to get the size, weight & other info about your shipping cartons from your supplier. This info is important in order to get you a price quote.

You can get an shipping insurance quotes from them as well.

They can also give you in-land courier quotes as well. Unless you live on the west coast, you'll have to get your order shipped from there to you. This is means in-land transport by rail or truck. Thats where the a chunk of cost can come into play. In-land couriers here in the US can be expensive.

Also, a freight forwarder can handle your customs clearance, since you mentioned duties. It will cost some to pay for a customs broker to do all the paper work for you. Unless you want to do it yourself. I've been told, with enough experience you can do it yourself.

Hope this helps some. Letting a freight forwarder handle all of it sure saves some time & frustration. This whole process is indeed a learning experience.
Replying to [MarcP]:
Hi Marc,
How many pcs per carton? or What is the total weight? These are important factors to determine the rate is high or not.
Which city do you import these goods from China?
I recommend you talk to this agent in China, Global Network Logistics. This is an agent of UPS/Fedex/DHL. They offer lower rate even lower than what I can get from UPS/Fedex/DHL. You may find their contact at www.gnl.hk.

Marc, right now I am in the same boat as you, just trying to find a way to get the product here.

The packaging for the product I want to import is rather large, so the issue I am having is FexEx/UPS don't want to pick up a package that large.

It seems you best bet I have found so far, as the other two posters have said, is to get the weight and dimensions of the box when you do your pricing.

It also appears that DHL offers an importing service, I am trying to get pricing on that myself right now.

EMS, based out of China can do Air freight, but it doesn't appear that they offer any kind of support to people outside of China for using the service.

Your best bet, if you are going to be doing this regularly is to find a Logistics agent in the US or in your suppliers country.

It is nice to have someone in China, because they can actually help you source or be your eyes and ears in China to check quality and inspect the product. If you haven't already done so I highly reccomend getting a sample of 1-10 units to look at the finished quality.

This is where I am at so far. [em19]

Hey Mark, how are you -

So I see that you posted back in 2006 - maybe now You can help me. I am new to this importing business and I paid for all goods. They will be coming to the USA from China - San Francsico/Oakland port to be exact.

I only ordered 100 pieces - but they are a bit bulky. Can you tell me how the whole customs thing works? What exactly do i have to do and who do I talk to?

Thank you so much,

Happy

Quoting from [MarcP]:

Hi everyone,

My name is Marc Possoff and I have questions about shipping costs from China to the USA as I am new to importing.

Currently I am wanting to start importing custom embroidered baseball caps from China.

I have gotten info about duty on this product at 7.5%.

Also from the factories I have been in contact with I have gotten pricing on shipping costs. They have given me shipping costs per cap for both air and sea.

I'm asking here because I want to make sure that I got all my i's dotted and my t's crossed.

First for some reason shipping costs from each factory are all over.

Approximate weight and size of each carton is...

I will be ordering 1000-1200 pieces at a time on each order. Each factory informed me that they get good shipping rates.

approx. 55x37x57cm / carton

approx 16kgs / carton

Shipping rates I have been told average....

By ocean - $.05 to $.10/piece USD

By air- $.50 to $.77/piece USD(Fed-Ex and DHL)

I prefer to get goods shipped by air as it is much faster.

Ocean might be good for some orders as it seems like ocean is ALOT cheaper.

Tallked with a friend of mind in Canada and he expressed to me to really make sure that shipping rates are correct because when packages arrive you don't want any suprises. He said those ocean rates don't look right.

Let's say $.10/piece for ocean. For 1200 caps that's $120 for ocean shipping, doesn't sound right.

As far as air he's not sure.

So for 1200 caps by air with above approximate specs, air shipping for 1200 caps is $924USD( at the highest quote of $.77), plus duty, etc.

This is why I'm here asking, I don't want any suprises.

What more do I need to know so I don't have any suprises?

Also besides shipping costs what other "expenses" and charges do I need to know? I already know duty is 7.5%. Any other charges?

Thanks!

Marc

l
Your Friend in canada is a true friend indeed to advice you to becareful.  If you have 16 cartons only prices will vary depending on were you are going and also the value of the goods. UPS or DHL will be slightly higher than a convential forwarder over the cost of time because they will bill you totally different.  You will have to pay duty on the import value for customs and that is based on the dollar amount of the entire shipment.  UPS and DHL as well as FEDEX don't bill that at the same time as the shipping so you will receive different bills at different times.  Now costing out the ocean you will pay by the weight or measure not by per piece as suggested and that also goes for the airfreight as well.  Remeber customs charges are based on the overall value of the goods not pieces.  I'm a forwarder and I left you my contact give me a call maybe I can help you with your endeavor.

hi everyone

do any know the cost of send just one t-shirt from china.i had ask my friend at china they say is180rmb 6-7 day. but what about

14-21 day will it cost lower . coz i was thinking of moving to china and sell things on ebay. i see alot poeple in china selling 1$-5$ items

on ebay with free shipping. with shipping so high how they make money. there is one selling CD for 6.99usd with free shipping delivery time 2-3 week but the cost is more than 6.99usd.

If you are importing baseball caps, please ensure that they are shaped for the heads of the market in which you intend to sell. The chinese head is not the same shape as american.

Masrc,

Try calling shipnex. they gave me the best deal. i shipp to and from china. i got 60% off of price from DHL and then i saw that DHL is the actual shipper. don't know how they do it, but the price was great. try calling them

Jared GIles

Fishy tackle co.

JPS Logistical Solutions Inc. is the premier solution for door-to-door transportation services, anywhere in the world.

With a dedicated team of agents overseeing a fleet of trusted carriers and distributors, JPS Logistical assures clients of dependable, on-time product delivery. JPS Logisticals global network of affiliates, combined with discounted transportation rates, ensures the most efficient and cost-effective transportation available. With over thirty years of experience in the freight industry, JPS Logistical arranges and manages the best freight options to meet each clients specific shipping requirements.

JPS Logistical, a provider of customized freight logistics services covering every aspect of shipping from proper packing to customs clearance to assurance of delivery.

don@jpslogistical.com
Re: Re: Shipping Costs from China to the USA

Hi Waynehai4791,

I am the same boat as you...I would like to find out how much is it to ship one shirt from China with the cheapest rates that you could find. I saw people selling items ship from China in less than US$ 5.00 and with free shipping. Have you find out how they do that? Please kindly share..thank you :)

Forum Guidelines

For general Alibaba.com customer inquires, please contact Alibaba Service Center.
To lodge a dispute/complaint, please visit our Complaints Center.
For general AliExpress customer inquiries, please contact AliExpress Customer Support.
If any posts corresponding to the categories above are located in the Forums, they will be deleted without prior notice.
Subject: